Tuesday, November 28, 2006


Our morning started w/ a wake-up call at 5:30. Usually, I would hit snooze at this time in the morning and roll over, but not today. I was dressed and ready for battle in less than ten minutes. Meagan and I brought Elias to the nurses station at 6:00 AM sharp as we were instructed and the preparations began. His vitals were taken, his was given a gown, we were informed on how the morning would go, and then we waited on deck. He was second in line for surgery but the wait was still substantial. Or at least it felt substantial.

A few minutes after 8:00, they came to get us. We all walked down to the surgical prep area and were given more instructions on what was to come. Our anesthesiologist came and told us that he would use an epidural for pain control unless something prevented it for some odd reason. (He did good Paul, thanks.) A few moments later, the surgeon (who has been absolutely wonderful) came and did a final inspection on Elias' leg and drew some possible incision areas. He was very assuring but also frank that he really didn't know what he would find or how things would turn out. Just to give an example, he told us that because of the shape of his leg, he couldn't apply a turniquette. What?!? Because of this, he might have to do part of the surgery today and close, then finish at a later date. Lots of unknown's.

Then the time came. We had to watch as they took him away. I'll never forget that for as long as I live. We walked to the surgical suite and then had to stop at a red line on the floor - the point of no return. (I think a Star Wars like space shield shoots up if unauthorized personnel cross the red line.) At this point, the nurse took Elias and we watched as they walked away. We stood there and waved "bye bye". Elias just stared and waved, and with his little sweet voice told us "bye bye", "bye bye", "bye bye"... no tears, no screaming, just "bye bye". Like he somehow knew that he'd be OK and was saying, "Dont' worry. I'll see ya later."

Then the wait began. We went for a short walk outside and got some crying out. We both needed to be alone and collect ourselves before we began "the wait". We had a very nice waiting room to ourselves. Nice TV, rocking chair, magazines, etc. It all seemed a little petty when someone you love is breathing on a machine and having one of their appedages severed. So, we prayed, called family, and listened to music. However, there's only so much of that you can do. You have to pass the time somehow or you just sit and think about it. And who wants to do that. So... I watched a little SportsCenter.

The phone rang at around 10:00. They had been in the O.R. for a little over an hour. It was one of the surgical nurses, "Elias is doing fine. Just wanted to let you know. " More praying, phone calls, and... yes, I watched a little more SportsCenter. You gotta pass the time somehow!
At about 11:00, the nurse called again. "We're just about done. Everything went great. Dr. Sanders is closing right now. He should be out to see you soon." Ahhhh.......

Dr. Sanders came in and was happy. We liked that. Things went very well - almost better than expected. No sutures/incision on the bottom of his residual limb or stump. (We say Residual Limb or RL in prosthetics.) Just a straight suture down the back. Wow! Wow! Wow! That is amazing! I'll provide more details on that later.

It is now almost 4:00 PM and Elias is in Mommy's lap. He's a little fussy but that's mainly because he can't get up and move like he wants. He has to stay fairly sedentary because the epidural is still in to provide pain meds. This is our biggest prayer request right now - that he will be content and stay still. He is all boy and likes to be on the move. This has proved to be a challenge but we know that we'll get through it. We'll write more later as we can.

Thank you all for your prayers. God bless-

Chase, Meagan and the amazing Elias


Anonymous said...

Bless the Lord! I have been on edge all day and am so relieved to hear everything went well and the mom, dad and son are all back together. Love you all!

5KidMom said...

I don't know if you remember me. I am an adoptive Mom that traveled to Layla from late March to early April this year. We went to bring our daughter home, but we also took lots of pictures for other waiting families. Meagan asked me to take photos of Elias, and more specifically, his leg. She also asked me to find out what the nannies were doing about dressing his legs in light of his condition. He was a little under the weather the day I met him (most of the babies were), but was SOOOOO very sweet. I adored cuddling him, and telling him that his Mommy and Daddy would be coming to get him soon.

I am so pleased to read about how far he's come over the past few months. I know that surgery is scary, but I also know that God has a plan for Elias. You already know that it is no accident that he is your son. This is just another step in the plan. You have all been, and will continue to be, in my prayers.

Matt said...

Awesome news, praise God it went so well. Can't wait to see Elias running around someday!

Anonymous said...

Oh thank God. I'm soooo relieved. My stomach has been going into knots all day. I'm so happy for you guys that this surgery is over. I know your not out of the woods yet, but what a relief. We'll be praying continually.


Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!! We are so very proud of all of you! I know the road will be long but a huge hurdle is over! Please give Elias kisses from us all! Y'all are amazing!
Karen & Jonathan Teoli
(& all of us at Rhode Island Limb)!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
Praise the Lord! I'm so glad to hear the surgery went so well. I was thinking and praying for you and Elias this morning since I woke up. I shall continue to pray for you all in the weeks ahead that Elias may have a speedy recovery.
Always remember the Lord is always with us and He is our Strength when we are weak.
Elias is such a sweet kid and we enjoyed our visit over the week end. I can't wait to see him again in the new year when he will be "up and about" walking (thats some Canadian talk for you all). take care,
April, Rob & Caleb

Anonymous said...

Praise to our great God, He answered our unceasing prayers!! May He continue to watch over all of you and bring you back home very soon.
Your friends in Caz!

Anonymous said...

The American Bible Society Executive Team prayed for Elias during their meeting today and a prayers where sent through a big church prayer chain here in NYC. I have all of my friends here praying for you guys. I love you Meagan, Chase, and Elias!

Love Liz

Kevin Maloney said...

Praise God! I've been praying for you guys all day (its hard to keep it off my mind - i can't imagine how it is for you guys!) Glad to hear things went well. Can't wait to see you guys and hear all that God has done.

Kevin Maloney

Matthew 15:31 "the crowd wondered, when they saw the mute speaking, the crippled healthy, the lame walking, and the blind seeing. And they glorified the God of Israel."

Obason said...

Chase, thanks for the great blog post, felt like I was there with you...sounds like a lot of prayers were answered today for things to go smoothly once the surgeons were in there. I keep thinking that when Elias was born that people probably pitied him, but God had bigger plans and he is now yours and here.... and will be walking and running soon.....can't wait to see that!!! loving you guys and praying too.

"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done..."Gen

Joel said...

Guys, what a wonderful and yet stressful time. Thank you so much for posting the blog.

You guys have been such an encouragement to see in this whole process. Thank you.

Chase, I can't imagine what a blessing and labor of love Elias's first leg will be for you to make!

You guys are going to have to get him a special leg warmer soon with the winter coming... :)

Joel R

Anonymous said...

God is so good! Isn't it funny how He answers prayers-and we even wonder how things can go sooo well?I am delighted and have been praying and thinking of you all all day! We love you all so much!Much love from snowy Colorado!
Deirdre and family

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us informed this way. My thoughts were with you all day long and it's really great to hear that everything went well and Elias is doing fine!
All the best for the next couple of days!
Petra & Markus

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed for a safe return home and a speedy recovery! Thank you for keeping us posted.